Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Confessions of a binger...

I have been in a Jane Austen mood as of late. I have been reading and viewing several Jane Austen titles. First and foremost, of course, would be Pride and Prejudice.

I have read the novel twice in the past month. I have watched the Kiera Knightly version of the film a least 3 times in the past month. I have watched the BBC/A&E version with Colin Firth twice. I have purchased the soundtrack to the KK version and listen to it almost daily. I have purchased the sheet music and have started learning to play (it's hard!!).

Sunday nights on KUED, they are showing The Complete Jane Austen. That means that on Sunday night at 8:00, if I'm not out visiting family, I am parked on the couch, in my jammies and slippers, snuggled into my down blanket, with a box of tissues and a few pieces of chocolate, watching Masterpiece Theater.

I am currently reading Persuasion.

This is my first Austen binge, and I like it.

The most similar binge experience to the Austen binge would be the Anne of Green Gables binge. It has been years since this binge, however. I read all of the books, watch all of the movies, rinse, repeat...

Before the Austen was a Stephenie Meyer binge. I read all three of her novels in 2 days. I didn't sleep. I just read. And then I read them again. And again. I have pre-ordered her 4th vampire novel, and her first non-vampire novel, and marked the dates of release on every calendar I get my hands on. And I am somewhat nervously awaiting the release of the Twilight film.

I've had a few nerd binges where I've watched all of the extended versions of the Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers, and Return of the King multiple times, and then devoured the special bonus features. I read the book at least once a year. It's fun for a nerd like me to find all of the many places where Peter Jackson took artistic license and moved dialogue/poetry/songs/experiences around to make for better film flow.

I anticipate a Christopher Paolini binge this summer, with the eagerly awaited release of Brisingr. The Eragon movie sucked, though, so this binge will be literary only.

So, I guess I'm wondering, does anybody else do this?

5 comments:

Jodi said...

I'm a brief binger I guess you could say. Once I start a book I can't stop but I'm not quite to your level yet. I know someone who is though... someone who watched 16 episodes of the OC straight through...

Hilary Jan said...

HAHA, I don't know that I am at the level you are but I most deffinately a binger. I have been on a reading binge the last couple of months. The library makes it so easy though I put the books I want and they send me an email to come pick it up and they have self checkout now, it takes me 2 minutes to pick up more books. I have decided that I will force myself to read a Jane Autin book, I confess I never have, I tried once when I was like 10 and I don't think I got past the first chapter of any of them. And since I love this movie the most and you seem to enjoy it I think I will select Pride and Prejudice to be my first.

Hilary Jan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hilary Jan said...

I would love some suggestions for good books I have just been looking on line at what others have liked and they are ok but I haven't been overly impressed. If you have any that I can borrow even better. I will be a good book borrower, promise.

dan said...

I still can't remember what happens between Heathcliffe and the prejudice chick. Is it Heathcliffe?

6 word memoir

If you're interested, write a six work memoir.

Mine is:

lo que es, nao es nada.

(whatever it is, it's not nothing.)